Thursday, January 25, 2007

Beer, liquor, wine...it all does the same thing to any normal human being. It provides what professionals and what college students simply call "intoxication."

Intoxication is when you have had enough alcoholic beverages to damage your depth perception, emotional reason, and motor skill abilities. This intoxication is something that I have indulged in many, many times; I have, as is expected, indulged in it more so since I have been to college. I can say, without very much honor, that I have become semi-dependent on the comforts that alcohol tends to bring.

I cannot say to you right now that I condone the abuse of alcohol, but I can say that I certainly have abused it, and the many things that come with it. This may make me a bad person, or whatever you may choose to call it, but at this point I am overwhelmingly unaware and unconcerned with what other people may (and do) think of me.''

The point that I am currently writing to prove is that alcohol is not, has not been, and hopefully never will be, the problem that some people claim it to be. I feel that alcohol is not really a problem, it is a temporary solution for the problems that plague us day in and day out.

The previous statement that I have made may lead you to believe that I am some kind of alcoholic, but I can assure you that this is most definitely not true in any way. I can live without booze, and I have. I can go an extended time without it, as I also have. I personally feel that alc ohol gives the normal person a brief reprieve from what they consider their problems.

A person may go a week without drinking at all, especially in college (during a time of exams, quizzes, speeches, etc.) but they may drink on the weekends. These students usually look forward to their weekend, because they can let loose, and they can dismiss the problems that have stressed them and plagued them throughout the demanding college week. These students usually get inexplicably wasted on the weekend, and you could call this bad, but the aforementioned student is usually ready for the classes and obligations that they face on Monday morning. This is in no way problematic...in my opinion it is fairly therapeautic.

What I'm trying to say throughout all of this rambling and nonsense is that alcohol does not solve problems; it delays them for a short (or semi-long amount of time. if you consider a weekend to be a semi-long amount of time) amount of time, and it helps people to cope at times.

You cannot abuse alcohol to the point that it runs your everyday life...that is simply unacceptable. To let some type of beverage do that to you is absolutely terrible, and you may want to seek help.

I'm not advocating the use of alcohol, or maybe I am., in a way. Alcohol can't always be bad. It can help to delay the onsetting problems of one's life, and by putting these problems off, an awful decision can be extremely delayed. Alcohol often gives a reprieve from the daily grind of ordinary and tantalizing problems, which when delayed can help the aforementioned alcohol "abuser" to put off their problems until a more appropriate time...


....Besides...what kind of problem can one possibly fix at 2 in the morning on a Wednesday night??

1 comment:

TurneR said...

If we use, lets say a man named Kevin as an example. Kevin, a young buck, drinks to drown and never takes a break. You speak of this philosophy where you can drink to put off problems till a later date. If we use this Kevin character as an example you can see that this policy does not apply. The word break is not in his vocabulary. What is he going to do put off his problems till the day he wakes up in hell?

You are wrong,

Teej